compression tests in jffs2

Josh Boyer jwboyer at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Sat Nov 18 17:42:49 EST 2006

On Sat, 2006-11-18 at 13:35 -0300, Matías Zabaljáuregui wrote:
> OK! Thank you for your answer
>

> >> - recompiling the jffs2 module is the only way to reconfigure the
> >> compression behaviour?
> >
> > Yes at the moment. But adding dynamic and per-file compression so would
> > cool.
> >

> Do you think a /proc entry is a suitable mecanism for runtime
> compression configuration?

Please avoid /proc for anything.  The compression type has nothing to do
with processes, so it doesn't belong in /proc.

I would suggest either using a mount option if you want to make the
whole filesystem use a particular type of compression, or use xattrs to
specify compression type on a per file basis.  A third option would be
to use a sysfs entry similar to how you would use /proc.

josh