NAND read errors, R/O FS

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Wed May 10 15:20:09 EDT 2006

On 5/10/06, Steve Finney <saf76 at earthlink.net> wrote:

> >> Yep, I know about the issue. The recommended way to go here AFAIK is to
> >> mark the block as bad and copy its contents to a free one.
>
> FWIW, on the Samsung K9F* NAND chip, the explicitly recommended procedure
> for single bit read errors is to do single bit Error Correction (assuming ECC
> is implemented) and to NOT remap (you _are_ supposed to  remap and
> copy one write errors). Apparently the chances of a 2nd bit error within a single
> 512 byte page (the ECC unit) are negligible.

That's ok for those specific chips, but the problems are more generic.
 A read-only filesystem can read a single page repeatedly and really
often.  Then can cause read distrub errors in other pages.

And I've really only been keeping SLC chips in mind.  When you get to
MLC technology, it's even less reliable.

josh