boot issue.

Peter Menzebach pm-mtd at mw-itcon.de
Tue Mar 21 04:14:04 EST 2006

Hi,

Lakshmi N. Sundararajan wrote:
> I have a compressed ext2 filesystem on a FLASH partition which I would
> like
> to use as a root file system mounted in RAM. The FLASH is accessed via
> MTD layer.
So you have *no* filesystem in the flash, but a compressed image. This
is not usable as a filesystem directly in this format. Afaik, only the
initrd code can use this...

> The kernel parameters are "console=ttyS0,115200  noinitrd mem=128M
> root=/dev/mtdblock5"
> But kernel panics saying "VFS: Cannot mount root unknown device (31,5)".

which is correct, since there is no fs there...

> If I were to use cramfs on FLASH and use the same kernel command line,
> I am able to bringup the system.I am using 2.6 linux.
which would save the RAM space. You can still put some directories into
RAM...

> Would anyone know about this issue? Is there any thing I got to do?
> Any pointers would be helpful.
The only solution I know is (assuming parallel flash) to give the
compressed image as an initrd=<address>,<size> to the kernel.

Best regards
Peter
--
Peter Menzebach