Cramfs on NAND

Terence Soh gopher at singnet.com.sg
Sun Mar 12 19:34:10 EST 2006

Hi,

>>Yes, it's still true.  CRAMFS expects it's data to be contiguous so
>>unless you have something similar to a flash translation layer that
>>hides the bad blocks, insanity will ensue.
FTL will not work for me because of the licensing issues :(.

>>Could you use a read-only JFFS2 partition?
Besides the read-only characteristic, I'm also looking at fast mount
time. I guess I should take a look at YAFFS.

Question: Does a read-only JFFS2/YAFFS partition means that there will
not be any wear-levelling performed?

> The other solution is to use an ftl ontop of the flash, and then put a
> cramfs on that. Of course, that depends on you living somewhere where
> algorithms are not restricted to those with the license to use them.
> (iirc)

Bye and thanks for your time,
Terence.