NAND flash on MPC8xxx via UPM

Clemens Koller clemens.koller at anagramm.de
Thu Jan 26 07:30:27 EST 2006

Hello, Martin!

> we are working on a new board with a MPC8272 cpu. We plan to connect
> the NAND flashes over the Local Bus Controller and control it via
> the UPM, like described in the freescale application note:
> "How to Interface the PowerQUICC II Pro and PowerQUICC III Local
> Bus Controller to NAND Flash":
>
> http://www.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/white_paper/NANDFLASHWP.pdf

That should be possible. I guess I'll need that in the future, too
for MPC8540.

> I'm wondering, if this had been done already by someone or if there
> is a working lowlevel driver? Or perhaps someone is currently working
> on a driver or has plans to do so?

I have a little MPC8540ish raw test driver kernel 2.6 module which
allows to access something on the Local Bus via GPCM as well as via
UPM. It was a useful thing to experiment around.

Feel free to contact me if you want to have it.

Best greets,
--
Clemens Koller

http://www.anagramm.de