Reduce boot time with jffs2 and CM-X255

Michel LECONTE michel.leconte at sacet.com
Thu Dec 21 03:12:16 EST 2006

First, I would like to thanks all of you for  your help and I want to
specify that I'm newbie with jffs2 filesystem.

I have tried 2 methods to use the Flash :

1)

I didn't create a jffs2 image with mkfs.jffs2 and I didn't use sumtool.
I just copy my system on the flash mounted as specified in my first
post.

In this case, the boot time is about 4 minutes !!!

2)

I have created an jffs2 filesystem image :

./mkfs.jffs2 -r ../Distribution/ -o name.jffs2

and used sumtool :

./sumtool -i ../name.jffs2 -o name_1.jffs2

In the kernel, I enable "Summary support"

I tried to load this image in the flash with :

dd if=name_1.jffs2 of=/dev/mtdblock1

But I had an error message :

« dd: writing to `/dev/mtdblock1': Input/output error »

So I loaded this image with :

cp -r name_1.jffs2 /dev/mtdblock1

But when I boot the system I had :

« summary node crc error... »

With this second method, it doesn't work !!!

All I have read on the web deals about jffs2 filesystem image, so is it
necessary to create a filesystem image ?

What is the difference between filesystem image and a copy of the system ?

What I'm missing in the second method to explain my error ?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion or help.

Michel