FAQ entry for loopback mounting

Ralph Siemsen ralphs at netwinder.org
Thu Apr 6 09:10:38 EDT 2006

Quoting myself:

> METHOD mtdram:
 > [snip]
>     # cp file.jffs2 /dev/mtd0
>     # mount -tjffs2 /dev/mtdblock0 /mnt/foo

I'm bored of arguing about suffixes.  Let's talk MTD.

When using mtdram device, is it necessary to fill the device with 0xff
first?  Suppose I make a 8388608 byte mtdram device and then my
file.jffs2 is only 6000000 bytes long.  Need I fill the rest of the
device with 0xff before mounting?  Should I fill with zeros (there was
an unanswered question on this subject 2005-Dec-14 on the list).

What about if I "reaload", eg. umount the device, and want to copy a new
file.jffs2 image into it?  Or should the driver be reloaded in this case?

-R