blkmtd and name_to_dev_t

Jörn Engel joern at wohnheim.fh-wedel.de
Tue Apr 4 04:46:59 EDT 2006

On Tue, 4 April 2006 12:42:54 +0400, Artem B. Bityutskiy wrote:

> This is a bit out of context and I'm not arguing. Just wanted to note.
> Mount and linux long support device-less mount. The beset way to mount
> JFFS2 would be to do like this:
>
> mount mtd0 /mnt/jffs2 -t jffs2
>
> No need to have any fake block device, no need to have any device node
> at all. JFFS2 seems to (not sure) not support this but it is trivial to add.
>
> I tend to think that this mtdblock fake stuff is some ancient crap and
> has to go and not confuse people.

Artem, this is the other way around.  You are talking about having a
fake block device to mount jffs2 on mtd.  mtd->bd

I was talking about having a fake mtd on top of a block device to
mount jffs2 on it.  bd->mtd

Yes, the whole translate this into that business around mtd is rather
confusing.  It is unfortunate that a struct block_device is not
sufficient for flash purposes (yet?).

Jörn

--
Sometimes, asking the right question is already the answer.
-- Unknown