Silent GCC4.0 warning

Jörn Engel joern at wohnheim.fh-wedel.de
Wed Sep 14 09:06:57 EDT 2005

On Wed, 14 September 2005 14:34:47 +0200, Marius Groeger wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Sep 2005, Jörn Engel wrote:
>
> >"if your write it portable in the first place" sounds nice, but noone
> >really knows what that means, before the acid test happens.
>
> I think this is a weak argument in this context. Sticking to the
> standards should always be a prime directive for any programmer.
> Moreover, /if/ I follow your argument: it's very unlikely something
> happens to the semantics of (char*)buf + i, compared to the likelihood
> of a future GCC discovering honour and making the extensions harder to
> access.

Yeah, ok.  But then again, void* arithmetic is likely the single best
gcc extension.  We should spread this feature into more compilers and
into the next C standard instead of crippling ourselves.

Commercial companies with paying customers may have a different view
on this subject.  But since I don't receive a monthly cheque to worry
about such problems, please understand my ignorance. ;)

Jörn

--
You can take my soul, but not my lack of enthusiasm.
-- Wally