PATCH: allow JFFS2 to write to really small disks

Jörn Engel joern at wohnheim.fh-wedel.de
Thu Sep 1 08:00:30 EDT 2005

On Thu, 1 September 2005 13:52:35 +0200, Øyvind Harboe wrote:

> > > What do you think?
> >
> > I think that most users don't want JFFS2 to run in WORM mode.  And for
> > those users, failing on every write is actually better.  They notice
> > the problem right away, not just after a while.
>
> But who mounts a *tiny* JFFS2 volume except those that will be using it
> as a WORM drive?

People making mistakes.  It is a very important usability issue to
mark mistakes as such.  Making it appear as if everything is ok and
having it fail later, possibly days or weeks later, is bad usability.

I would agree with you if the user-perceived behaviour was
*immediatly* and *noticably* different.  But unless people write
enough data to fill their fs, the difference may go unnoticed.

Jörn

--
The wise man seeks everything in himself; the ignorant man tries to get
everything from somebody else.