/dev/mtd* not there with latest MTD

Bernhard Priewasser priewasser at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 09:30:21 EDT 2005

> I made some old-fanshiond mknod-style device files there. They have the
> same names as devfs without devfsd had, so my software just runs fine.

/dev/mtdblockX works fine, but /dev/mtdX NOT.

Did you only create mtdblocks or mtds too?
Older MTD creates /dev/mtdX with minor numbers X*2; running flash_erase
(for example) works fine.
Not so with same kernel, but latest CVS: creating exactly the same
/dev/mtdX as mtdchar.c would do (e.g. older MTD would do), I cannot
operate the flash properly. flash_erase results in an CFI error:

 > > flash_erase /dev/mtd4
 > Erase Total 1 Units
 > Performing Flash Erase of length 262144 at offset 0x0
 > H720X: block erase error: (status timeout)
 > MTD Erase failure: Input/output error
 > H720X: Waiting for chip to be ready timed out. Status 300080

Hm...

Regards,
Bernhard