Definition of MTD's

Jörn Engel joern at wohnheim.fh-wedel.de
Tue Oct 18 19:22:38 EDT 2005

On Tue, 18 October 2005 09:53:43 +1000, Paul Webster wrote:

> I was wondering what type of devices fall under the category of an mtd
> rather than block device or char device? Are mtd's non-removable
> media? I understand that USB flash disks and built in CompactFlash
> card readers are not mtd's but what about devices such as built in
> MemoryStick, SD, XD, MMC and SmartCard readers?

http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/faq/general.html

mtd's can be either removable or not.  Generally, mtd is just a
different abstraction than char or block devices and better suited for
flash than the other two.  Any device can be represented as an mtd.
Whether it actually makes sense is a different matter.

Jörn

--
When in doubt, punt.  When somebody actually complains, go back and fix it...
The 90% solution is a good thing.