The problem that I didn't think out

Artem B. Bityutskiy dedekind at yandex.ru
Mon Nov 28 05:15:27 EST 2005

Ferenc Havasi wrote:
> Be that as it may I have a NAND question, I think you know the answer
> (NAND Guru Artem :) ):
> - if there is and erase block aready fulled, is there any possibility to
> mark its pages as obsolated (individually)? Is it allowed to write to
> OOB (or data) area one more? (or write OOB later than the data... or
> similar trick?)

Yes, but this depends on NAND type. In the worst case, you may write at
least once there. In case of some NANDs - more.

Note, JFFS2 writes clean marker to OOB area of the first page of a newly
erased eraseblock. But it doesn't prohibit JFFS2 to write to this page
later, and store ECC in OOB, even though this OOB already contains some
data (the clean marker).

--
Best Regards,
Artem B. Bityutskiy,