Some JFFS3 feedback

Charles Manning manningc2 at actrix.gen.nz
Tue Nov 15 16:24:00 EST 2005

Hi Artem

I briefly read the JFFS3 doc, and will read it more. It has some very
interesting ideas in it.

About 9 years back, I did some flash file system patent research and IIRC one
of the patents covered something very similar to the Wandering Tree approach
to addressing the write-in-place problem, so there might be some IP issues
with this. I shall have a scratch around to see if I can find it (though
finding something in a 20+ year old paper mountain is a challenge).

I will be interested to see how you tackle the dreaded garbage collection.
IMHO, GC is something that needs to be considered sooner rather than later
because it is key to sustained write performance.

I know that it is hard to change a name, but JFFS3 is really not much like
JFFS2 or JFFS in design, so keeping a similar name really gets confusing
later on (I get enough problems with yaffs and yaffs2 and they share 90% of
the code). I would suggest a name change to avoid confusion down the track.

Regards

-- Charles