Re; MTD (2) Block Driver broken

Gareth Bult gareth at linux.co.uk
Mon Mar 7 16:46:20 EST 2005

> If you insist, I can remove the driver completely and rewrite it from
> scratch, with none of your code remaining.  Tell me to do so and I
> will.

Insist? I didn't either mention or suggest it (!)

Given that very few people use it, spending a week rewriting and testing
would seem a little inefficient (?)

fyi; there are at least 10,000 copies in circulation and no outstanding
bug or problem reports (that I know of) .. that said, most users are
probably unaware they're using it.

> BTW: Thank you for the bug report.  I've noticed this earlier but
> suspected jffs2 or my cowlink work to be at fault.  Despite our
> ability to get mad at each other, both your initial code and the bug
> report were very helpful (and worth any grief on my side).

No problem.

One issue you might like to be aware of ..

To use blkmtd as a module, you do;

modprobe blkmtd device=/dev/sda1 (for example)

For block2mtd, you do;

modprobe block2mtd block2mtd=/dev/sda1 (I think..)

Anyone who's coded up an initrd for example would have to recode for
both a different driver name and a different parameter name. (which
incidentally isn't immediately obvious)

It might (?) make sense to have the new driver replace the old (as an
option, rather than have a new name) and use the same parameter name ..
just as a general principle so people don't have to go and recode to
match the driver upgrade (?)

.. the "write" speed on the new driver is > 100x faster than the old ..
I was unable to think of a practical use for the old driver .. (!)

Gareth.

--
Linux.co.uk - promoting open source software in the UK
"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then