do_write_buffer(): software timeout

David Vrabel dvrabel at arcom.com
Thu Jan 27 04:48:51 EST 2005

Kasturi Raghunath wrote:
> Hi
>   I am running 2.4.18 linux on my 8270 board with AMD29LV128ML flash chip. I
> have patched May 27 2004 snapshot into my linux OS. JFFS2 and the MTD driver
> works fine when there is no load on the CPU. But when I start sending wire
> speed traffic on the ethernet port and simultaneously download a file to the
> flash I get following error:
> MTD do_write_buffer(): software timeout

It's possible that the ethernet driver is disabling interrupts too much
and ticks are getting lost.  This can cause timeouts to expire too soon
(particularly with the short 1 jiffy timeout in the do_write_buffer() code).

I posted a patch to this list a while back to work around this issue.
You could see if it fixes the problem.

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2004-December/011048.html

David Vrabel
--
David Vrabel, Design Engineer

Arcom, Clifton Road           Tel: +44 (0)1223 411200 ext. 3233
Cambridge CB1 7EA, UK         Web: http://www.arcom.com/