CRC on Read-Only partition

Artem B. Bityuckiy dedekind at infradead.org
Wed Jan 19 11:56:14 EST 2005

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, Artem B. Bityuckiy wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Jan 2005, Jared Hulbert wrote:
>
> > My understanding is that NAND technology is prone to read error even
> > if you aren't programming or eraseing it.   Such errors can occur
> > randomly.  By that I mean the data reads fine and then its bad and
> > then it reads fine...
> >
> Hmm. Thanks. So we just need to re-read several times.

Ok guys, I looked through documentation and articles and have not
found anything which may approve this.

The question is: if we've read page and encounter ECC error, is it
possible that if we re-read it several times we will have no errors? This
means does NAND technology assume random occasional bit flips which go
away after we re-read page?

I do not mean solar rays, radiation, etc. I only mean NAND technology
itself.

Would be good to have some URL.

P.S. :
Toshiba's guide stands bit flipping is possible, but they stay until block
is erased. Re-read as many times as yiu want - you will still have this
bit error. But this doesn't mean block is bad - erase the block and be
happy.

> --
> Best Regards,
> Artem B. Bityuckiy,