xattr support for JFFS3

Josh Boyer jdub at us.ibm.com
Wed Feb 23 19:58:19 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 15:31 -0800, Keshavamurthy, Anil S wrote:
> Hi,
> 	I am new to this mailing list but would like to contribute to
> xattr for flash file system. While looking at the archive seems like
> jffs2 is just a bug fix only and any new feature development should go
> to jffs3. So here is my question.

xattr support seems to be a popular topic these days.  You might want to
take a look at this thread on the lkml:

http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/2/22/85

Lorenzo already has something started.  Perhaps the two of you could
work together.

> 1) Is JFFS3 a completely rewritten file system? If true, what stage are
> we w.r.t JFFS3?

No, JFFS3 is a clone of JFFS2 with some minor changes and a new node
type.  The code bases will begin to differ as new features are added to
JFFS3.

> 2) Where can I find the sources for JFFS3? Sorry, if this is a stupid
> question.

It can be found in the MTD CVS tree.  It's also available in the nightly
tarballs.  See http://linux-mtd.infradead.org

josh