Follow-up to wearing / caching question

Jörn Engel joern at wohnheim.fh-wedel.de
Tue Feb 8 08:23:54 EST 2005

On Tue, 8 February 2005 13:22:23 +1300, Charles Manning wrote:

> 20 year product life? Really? What stuff are you still using that was first
> plugged in in 1985?

Most likely some old mainframes.  But even for them it'd be a long
life.

> There are two factors which skew this:
>
> 1) Garbage collection. Depending on the way the files are rewritten and freed
> up, different amounts of garbage collection rewrites will be performed. Worst
> case GC can drive up the number of writes.
>
> 2) "Squatter files". Some files live a long time and some are transient.
> Those that live a long time will tend to take up "squatters rights" on an
> area of flash which means that the rest gets written more often.

I guess dwmw2's approach to split up writes between two erase blocks
would solve both issues.  GC'd data can be expected to be rather
long-living, so it goes to a different block than newly written data.

Jörn

--
People will accept your ideas much more readily if you tell them
that Benjamin Franklin said it first.