Does Linux have serial flash drivers?

Peter Menzebach pm-armlist at mw-itcon.de
Wed Dec 14 03:20:15 EST 2005

colin wrote:
> Hi Peter,
> I noticed this driver before.
> But I think it is strnage that there are many serial Flash chips in the
> world but there is no any corresponding mtd driver in Linux kernel source
> tree.
> What's the reason of this?
>
> Regards,
> Colin

Maybe, because most boards will then need 2 flashs with different
interfaces. Afaik only the Atmel at91... can boot directly from serial
dataflash due to it's internal ROM services.

Even this seems to be not a mainstream way to boot, because the
maintainer of the available bootloader (u-boot) declared that way to
boot deprecated.

In our case it was fine, because this allowed to reduce the size of the
board.

Another reason might be a hen/egg problem. (driver/first board available)

Best regards
Peter

--
Peter Menzebach