power management routines for NAND driver

Todd Poynor tpoynor at mvista.com
Thu Aug 11 16:23:13 EDT 2005

Vitaly Wool wrote:

> I've looked through mtd code and found mtd_pm_callback that should be
> called to handle PM events. This callback should in turn call
> mtd->suspend/mtd->resume functions, if any. Therefore one evident way of
> PM stuff implementation for this NAND flash is to provide suspend/resume
> functions. However, pm_send (that calls mtd_pm_callback) is never called
> on ARM targets. So I doubt if it's appropriate to implement PM for the
> driver this way since it's looking somehow obsolete.
>
> Another way could be define the platform_device and provide its
> suspend/resume functions, that would be called during the power state
> transition.

Yes, the pm_send etc. APM-style calls are deprecated.  The Linux Driver
Model PM hooks (incl. struct device_driver suspend/resume callbacks) are
the way to do it now.  I floated a patch for another board in thread
"MTD PM Resume" in July that does approximately what you're talking
about, although calling existing Intel/Sharp CFI NOR flash routines.  If
there's no objections to that style of PM support then I'll check it in.

--
Todd