NAND Flash Device and JFFS2 support

carl liao carlliao at 21cn.com
Thu Apr 21 05:28:41 EDT 2005

HI Artem,

On 2005-04-20 23:15:01, Artem B. Bityuckiy at dedekind at infradead.org wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 22:47 +0800, carl liao wrote:

>>I back ported mtd snapshot 20050416 codes to 2.4.26 for AMD Au1200.
>>The NAND device could be identified and accessed via /dev/mtd/0.
>>I even could mount /dev/mtdblock/0, copy file to it and umount it.
>>But there is so many warnings or ecc error messages!
>
>This is not normal that you see "so many warnings or ecc error
>messages". Presumably you have problems with your driver.

So I will double check my NAND chip driver first of all.

>>So in order to properly use NAND Flash, how could I format and
>>read/write data to it?
>
>flash_eraseall -j to format.
>
>Please, investigate carefully web site at
>http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/index.html

Thanks all! I found a good post "Can you really write a jffs2 image with
nandwrite?"
at http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2005-March/012045.html

>>I want to put Linux root file system on the NAND. Is it a right choice?
>
>Depends on your requirements.
>
>JFFS2 is a generally good choice if:
>    * you need on-flight compression
>    * you need unclean-reboot tolerance
>    * your flash isn't large, say, not larger then 64 MiB

If I just want to use the NAND /dev/mtdblock/0 as a raw device without JFFS2,
and just put a ramdisk iamge on it, how could I do? Will NTFL help in this
case?

Thanks in advance to all!

Carl Liao