MTD newbie trying to use AM29F016B

Graham Keeling graham at equiinet.com
Thu Sep 2 11:57:47 EDT 2004

Hello,
I am trying to get access (using Linux) to two AM29F016B flash chips on a
machine that I have inherited.
I haven't been able to find an introduction to MTD on the internet.
What I've been trying (using 2.4.22 kernel) is this:
Set the following kernel options...

#
# Memory Technology Devices (MTD)
#
CONFIG_MTD=m
CONFIG_MTD_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_MTD_DEBUG_VERBOSE=3
CONFIG_MTD_PARTITIONS=m
# CONFIG_MTD_CONCAT is not set
# CONFIG_MTD_REDBOOT_PARTS is not set
# CONFIG_MTD_CMDLINE_PARTS is not set
# CONFIG_MTD_CHAR is not set
CONFIG_MTD_BLOCK=m
# CONFIG_MTD_BLOCK_RO is not set
# CONFIG_FTL is not set
# CONFIG_NFTL is not set

#
# RAM/ROM/Flash chip drivers
#
CONFIG_MTD_CFI=m
CONFIG_MTD_JEDECPROBE=m
CONFIG_MTD_GEN_PROBE=m
# CONFIG_MTD_CFI_ADV_OPTIONS is not set
# CONFIG_MTD_CFI_INTELEXT is not set
CONFIG_MTD_CFI_AMDSTD=m
# CONFIG_MTD_CFI_STAA is not set
CONFIG_MTD_RAM=m
# CONFIG_MTD_ROM is not set
# CONFIG_MTD_ABSENT is not set
CONFIG_MTD_OBSOLETE_CHIPS=y
CONFIG_MTD_AMDSTD=m
# CONFIG_MTD_SHARP is not set
CONFIG_MTD_JEDEC=m

I then end up with these modules:

mtdcore
mtdblock
mtdpart

amd_flash
cfi_cmdset_0002
cfi_probe
chipreg
gen_probe
jedec
jedec_probe
map_ram

When I use modprobe to install these modules, they give no errors and lsmod
shows that they are installed. No warnings or anything else appear in any
log. I don't know whether I am installing them in the wrong order or
something.

/proc/mtd contains:
dev:    size   erasesize  name

If things were working correctly, I think that there should be more stuff in
/proc/mtd.
AM29F016 is listed in jedec_probe.c, which seems similar enough to
AM29F016B.

I don't know where to go from here. Any help at all would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Graham.