JFFS2 compression

Artem B. Bityuckiy abityuckiy at yandex.ru
Tue Oct 19 08:19:39 EDT 2004

> I undersand you, but unfortunatelly now there is no way to change
> compression mode dimamically. There was (using procfs) but when David
> tried to commit it to the kernel, someone (I don't remember who but one
> of the kernel developers) declared it bad.
>
> David asked me to reimplement it is sysfs, but that is not an easy
> thing. Not technically. There is no fs subdirectory in sysfs. I read in
> the mailling list archive of linux-fsdevel at vger.kernel.org. Someone
> tried to submit a patch to make this fs subdirectory, because he need it
> for NFS. The answer declared it as very bad, too... (sysfs has a
> different philosopy...) I had some private discussion with the patch
> submitter (what happened exactly, what was really the problem,... what
> is his plan). He wrote that he try it again later. He think the guy who
> declared his patch bad really hates sysfs (and procfs too). So I decided
> to wait, too. :(
Ferenc, thanks for story, I really interested why the proc support was
removed. There is another possibility - ioctl/fcntl. Ok, got it - it is
not big deal to move compression mode to superblock, but now it is just
unneeded because there are no interfaces to change the compression mode
dynamically.

> But this new "compressoin configuration" concept may cause that we don't
> need sysfs/procfs.
How are you going to set files/directories compression mode (just
interesting) ?

--
Best Regards,
Artem B. Bityuckiy,