Bad Blocks On JFFS2/NAND

Simon Haynes simon at baydel.com
Tue Oct 19 07:22:16 EDT 2004

I have experienced a problem in which a JFF2 filesystem on NAND became full.
This is a root file system and constant writes to a logfile filled the
filesystem. On investigation it was found that the NAND device now had
hundreds of bad blocks.

I started to investigate this and found that JFFS2 was announcing

Newly-erased block contained word 0x1985e002 at offset 0x020f7e00

Messages which result in my mtd/jffs2 code marking the block bad. What I find
strange is that a subsequent scan list the new block at a different 16k
offset when the device erasesize is 16k, in this case 0x020f0000.
Is that because my device is 128Mb and JFFS2 is using this 'virtual erase
size' of 32k ?

I have observed this now on several different NAND devices and it seems to be
more prominent while performing small writes.

I am currently trying to work out if the erase is not completing, or this is
the wrong block or something else.

I was wondering if anyone has seen something similar

Cheers

Simon.