GC patch for eCos port

Mark Hamilton mhamilton at alliantnetworks.com
Fri Oct 8 15:37:07 EDT 2004

There looks to be a bug with the eCos port on how garbage collection is
done. I sent a notice about this bug before but I didn't get a resolution.
Another fellow came across the same bug and verified my fix. The bug seems
specific to eCos because of how jffs2_gc_fetch_page was ported but the
proposed fix is applied to gc.c. Since the gc.c is a JFFS2 core file, I
guess this is the appropriate mailing list for posting the patch. The patch
is attached.

Here is the problem.
ffs2_gc_fetch_page reads 4K of data into a static buffer. The static buffer
is hidden in the jffs2_gc_fetch_page function. The problem is when the
writebuf pointer is calculated. The offset is used again to reference into
the pg_ptr. You can image when start is equal to 4K that writebuf will
extend beyond the end of the pg_ptr valid memory. Offset is set to start
just before the while loop.

I made a comment below with what I think the fix should be.
Am I missing something?

            pg_ptr = jffs2_gc_fetch_page(c, f, start, &pg);
            if (IS_ERR(pg_ptr)) {
                printk(KERN_WARNING "read_cache_page() returned error:
%ld\n",
                PTR_ERR(pg_ptr));
                return PTR_ERR(pg_ptr);
            }
            offset = start;
            while(offset < orig_end) {
                        uint32_t datalen;
                        uint32_t cdatalen;
                        char comprtype = JFFS2_COMPR_NONE;
                        ret = jffs2_reserve_space_gc(c, sizeof(ri) +
JFFS2_MIN_DATA_LEN, &phys_ofs, &alloclen);
                        if (ret) {
                            printk(KERN_WARNING "jffs2_reserve_space_gc of
%zd bytes for
                                       garbage_collect_dnode failed: %d\n",
                                         sizeof(ri)+ JFFS2_MIN_DATA_LEN,
ret);
                                    break;
                        }
                        cdatalen = min_t(uint32_t, alloclen - sizeof(ri),
end - offset);
                        datalen = end - offset;
                        // This looks to be wrong.
                        writebuf = pg_ptr + (offset & PAGE_CACHE_SIZE -1));
                        // I think it should be.
                        writebuf = pg_ptr + ((offset -start) &
(PAGE_CACHE_SIZE -1));

The patch uses a define(__ECOS) to fix this problem.