inode checkpoints

Artem B. Bityuckiy dedekind at mail.ru
Sat Oct 9 09:01:16 EDT 2004

Artem B. Bityuckiy wrote:
> Hello Guys.
>
> Unfortunately, I hit on very painful trouble while trying to
> design/implement checkpoints (ICP) ...
>
> Obviously, ICP must contain all information, which is required to build
> the inode cache. These are: offset, size and *version*. The problem is
> in version.
>
> At first I thought that in order to create ICP for some regfile inode,
> we just need to be sure that the inode cache for this regfile exists.
> But! I've overseen the fact that *there is no versions in the inode
> cache* :-(
>
> The inode cache (struct jffs2_inode_info) contains fragtree which has
> struct jffs2_full_dnode objects. But these objects have no version field...
>
> So, I see two ways out:
>
> 1. Add the version field to the struct jffs2_full_dnode objects.
> This also means that the struct jffs2_tmp_dnode_info structure won't be
> needed anymore.
>
> The advantage of such approach is that the JFFS2 will be more simple
> since one data structure will be removed. I like the KISS principle.
>
> The drawback is that the inode cache will eat more memory. But this
> isn't in-core object, just cache, so I don't think this is a big
> disadvantage.
Moreover, there is the 'ofs' field in the jffs2_full_dnode which isn't
really needed since the sabe information is in the raw->flash_offset
field. So, we can for example add 'version' and remove 'ofs' field. The
size won't change, the JFFS2 will be a bit simpler. Only small overhead
(need to dereference pointer to get the ofs) will be introduced.

--
Best Regards
Artem B. Bityckiy