Large flash concatenation

Andy Hawkins a.hawkins at cabletime.com
Fri May 28 06:42:42 EDT 2004

Hi,

Thanks to both Thomas and David for replying.

On Fri, 2004-05-28 at 11:27, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> 1. Please use the latest NAND code, as the support for the larger devices is
> already there and the old code does not handle the large page devices.
> We have actually problems with CVS access (is IPV6 only). I can provide a
> current snapshot on request.

I'm now doing that. I've downloaded the latest snapshot
(mtd-snapshot-20040527.tar.bz2) and am trying to get it to compile now.

> 2. The nand driver itself can handle multiple chips now. The scan function
> supports multiple chip detection. Do not use the concat function for this
> purpose. The chips are provided as one big device to the MTD layer if you do
> not use partitions.

How do I do this? Each chip appears at a separate address (we've used
the lower 6 bits of the address lines to decode the chip selects for
each chip). At the moment, I'm looping over all the possible addresses
calling 'nand_scan' at each address. Is this this correct way to do
this?

> It might turn out that JFFS2 is not the first choice for this concatenated
> device size, but it should work. Maybe YAFFS2 would be more suitable. It's
> not released yet AFAIK, but it should be available soon.

We haven't made a final choice of filesystem as of yet, I just want to
get the devices up and running so that I can write / read them (to prove
our hardware design is correct).

> You can join #mtd on irc.freenode.net if you want.

That might be a good idea. Thanks for letting me know about that.

Andy