mtdparts howto required!!

Robin Gilks robin.gilks at tait.co.nz
Wed Mar 17 18:30:41 EST 2004

Don't you just love it when someone replies to their own post!!

Problem solved - it would be nice if it were written down somewhere that
the physmap.c example is only that - a non-working example in that it
doesn't define a master mtd device which means you can't define the
partitions on it!!

Also, when a master device is defined there is nothing to indicate that
the mtdparts command line has to use the same name as the mtd_id - in
fact I've found nothing that defines what mtd_id is. Who would have
believed that I needed a command line of the form
mtdparts=phys_mapped_flash:7M(jffs2),256K(u-boot),-(kernel)
in order to use the default name (which doesn't work for reasons above
anyway!!)

Oh well - its kept me entertained for 3 days instead of doing real work...

Robin Gilks wrote:
> Greetings
>
> I'm trying to map 3 partitions into a single flash device using the
> mtdparts command line stuff. I'm using a 2.4.22 kernel cross compiled
> from i686 to PowerPC with mtd patches from CVS as of 19th Feb.

[snip]

--
Robin Gilks
Senior Design Engineer          Phone: (+64)(3) 357 1569
PO Box 1645 Christchurch        Email : robin.gilks at tait.co.nz
New Zealand