Idea for MTD CF-IDE

Dan DeMaggio dmag at drewtech.com
Fri Jun 18 14:18:19 EDT 2004

On the linux-mtd page ( http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/ ), it states
"to the best of my knowledge [CompactFlash] doesn't have any alternative
method of accessing the [raw] flash". Although this is true in the
general case, it may be possible on some cards. For example, on the last
page of the Samsumg ATA flash controller reference design manual, there
are extensions to the ATA commands that allow access to the raw flash.

http://www.samsung.com/Products/Semiconductor/Flash/TechnicalInfo/ref_guide_010623.pdf

I think this means that someone could write an MTD driver for Samsung CF
cards, allowing JFFS2 to run 'natively' on the card. It seems pretty
straightforward to me, but I don't have time to work on it. I'm hoping
that someone here gets a hankering to implement it, because I'd like to
use it. ;)

--
Dan DeMaggio (dmag at drewtech.com)
Drew Technologies (810-231-3171)