Problem writing to NOR flash

Andy Hawkins a.hawkins at cabletime.com
Mon Jul 26 12:07:27 EDT 2004

Hi all,

After a bit more digging and reading of the data sheet, it appears the
the chip I'm using doesn't need locking and unlocking. I then went back
to the version of the code where we had this working (whatever came with
the 2.4.20 kernel) and found that none of this locking / unlocking
mechanism was present.

So, to test I commented out the contents of cfi_amdstd_lock_varsize and
cfi_amdstd_unlock_varsize, and I can now successfully write to the NOR!

Are these functions only required for some very specific chips? If so,
what is the *correct* way for this code to determine whether or not they
are needed (this code is in a 'generic' file, so I'm surprised that
there's chip specific information in there).

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Andy