[RFC] refactoring MTD cmdset ops, jedec_probe, and cfi_probe

Thayne Harbaugh tharbaugh at lnxi.com
Tue Jul 13 10:45:38 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 08:23 -0600, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at infradead.org> writes:
>
> > On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 01:05 -0600, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> > > That part does not look to bad...
> >
> > Would be interesting to know if it works though ... :)
> >
> > > Although there has been some error handling from cfi_cmdset_0002.c which
> > > disturbs me.  Seeing as I'm good at finding flaky NOR flash parts...
> >
> > I assume you mean some error handling _removed_ from cfi_cmdset_0002.c
> >
> > I don't recall doing that myself... can you elaborate?
>
> Right.  Basically when Thayne was working on cfi_cmdset_0002 we got it stable
> for the chips we care about.  But the code was so ugly someone rewrote the
> code.  There were other priorities at the time so we have not been able to
> get back and fix things up.
>
> The primary thing was that the check that the written data is was what
> we actually tried to write was removed.

There's a short list of things that have been removed or changed
significantly (although this is from memory and may not match the
current code):

* read-back check of written data

* retry of failed writes

* unlock address for some chips (although this is likely part of the big
rewrite)

In the end, it's much appreciated that everything was cleaned up - there
were some major things done that I wanted to do but was too timid to do
major overhauling of the code.  Unfortunately it was just continuing to
grow harrier and uglier.