DOC2k booting speed ...

Philippe philippe at accuitee.com
Mon Jan 26 11:15:13 EST 2004

Hi,

Thank you for your quick answer

> Grub's drivers are not particularly optimised. Why use an initrd rather
> loaded by the bootloader, rather than having the kernel itself access
> the device? That should be much faster, and wouldn't even need to whole
> device to be read at startup.

As I cannot use JFFS2 with the DOC, I use an initrd to put the whole system
in ramdrive without having the doc mounted.
I did it to avoid filesystem failures.

Is there another way to
 1) boot from the DOC,
 2) build up the OS filesystem
 3) umount the DOC ? -> protect filesystem in case of unexpected powerdown

I saw many things about pivot_root but didn't found any simple example to
get started.

Thank you.