Q: Filesystem choice..

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Sun Jan 25 16:53:55 EST 2004

Currently I am examining the possibility of using a filesystem with
LinuxBIOS so that I may store parameters and kernels in the flash in a
more flexible manner.

The current flash chips I am working with are NOR flash from 512KiB to
4MiB.  And they generally have a 64KiB erase size.

I have two flash blocks that are reserved for XIP code (the hw
initialization firmware) and the rest can be used for the filesystem.
So in the worst case I have 6 flash blocks to play with.

The old papers on jffs2 would make it unacceptable as it reserves
5 erase blocks.  And I don't know if yaffs or yaffs2 is any better.

In addition boot time is important so it would be ideal if I did not
to read every byte of the ROM chip to initialize the filesystem.

Is there a filesystem that only reserves one erase block?

Does it look like I need to write my own solution?

Eric