Embedded Application design help needed

pal pal coolpalcoolpal at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 15 12:39:39 EST 2004

Hi Guys,

   This is my first Embedded related project and needs
to be done on fast track so i need your help.
   I have some knowledge of linux,written few modules
but not much as far as programming in linux is
concerned.

Tech Back ground of the Proj.

       I have an SBC(PCI bus) and A.) Analog Input
card B.) Analog O/p card c.) Digital input Card d.)
Digital O/p Card.

  I want to know how to design my application , i mean
i don't know anything about embedded linux. In other
words can somebosy tell me what should be there in
modules/threads/process.

1.) My Analog Input card has onboard FIFO and it does
conversions from analog to digital at some rate which
is lets say very fast like 2000 samples/ second.(PCI
based Analog i/p card), I want to scan the card evry
10 msec and store the data , i should give higest
priority to this task.

2.) The samples mentioned above are taken from some
sensors which are mounted over a rail and they move at
To and Fro at a speed of 200mm/sec, i want to give
this task 2nd highest priority. These sensors are
moved TO and Fro using AC induction motor i also have
to control the motor (direction and speed).

3.) I need to store the captured samples in the memory
and do some computation.

4.) After the computation is done i need to run a PID
loop(some loop). This loop should be executed once
every 250ms.

5.) At the same time i also need to pass on this
averaged value to a PC running windows on in via
LAN.This task can be of lower priority.

6.)If required i need to run some diagonistic's from
windows PC.

Lets assume that drivers for Analog I/p , Analog O/p ,
Digital i/p and Digital o/p cards are avialable.

Can somebody help me to get started with it. may be i
can refine the Design here on the list.

cheers
pal