overwrite complete flash

Markus Borchers MBorchers at ADwin.de
Tue Jan 13 10:10:49 EST 2004

Hello everyone,

during an firmware-update-process I want to overwrite the complete flash
with one image.

My system is an Intel IXP425-based custom board with RedBoot, linux
version 2.4.18, root on jffs2,
5 MTD partitions on "IXP425 Flash":
0x00000000-0x00040000 : "RedBoot"
0x00040000-0x000e0000 : "kernel"
0x00100000-0x007c0000 : "root"
0x007c0000-0x007e0000 : "RedBoot config"
0x007e0000-0x00800000 : "FIS directory"

I know that I can overwrite a complete partition (e.g. /dev/mtdblock1 =
kernel),
but then the update-process depends on the partition table.

I miss a device-file (like /dev/hda) to have access independent of any
partitions.

I found the implementation of the struct map_info ixp425_map in
drivers/mtd/maps/ixp425.c with the functions
read16:     ixp425_read16,
write16:    ixp425_write16
After exporting that symbol I can use this funktions with my own
kernel-modul.

The reading works but the writing not.

Any hints?

Thanks in advance!