building blkmtd as a module

Cruz, Maria maria.cruz at VITRONICS.com
Thu Feb 19 09:54:42 EST 2004

hi,
I have Redhat linux 9.0 (kernel 2.4.20-6).  i am trying to rebuild my kernel and add in
Y=Memory Technology Device (MTD) support
Y=Caching block device access to MTD devices"
%under submenu , Self-contained MTD device drivers"
M=MTD emulation using block device"
%under main menu, Block devices
M=Loopback device support  %already set
%under main menu, File Systems
M=Journalling Flash File System v2 (JFFS2) support

where Y=built into kernel and M=make a module.  All is fine until I do a "make modules_install", then i get an error:
if [ -r System.map ]; then /sbin/depmod -ae -F System.map  2.4.20-6mtd; fi
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-6mtd/kernel/drivers/mtd/devices/blkmtd.o
depmod:         recalc_sigpending_tsk
The function "recalc_sigpending_tsk" is in signal.o.  what is wrong?  GPL license issue? dependency issue (i do a "make dep" right after "make menuconfig").  the .config has mtd setup:
# Memory Technology Devices (MTD)
#
CONFIG_MTD=y
# CONFIG_MTD_DEBUG is not set
# CONFIG_MTD_PARTITIONS is not set
# CONFIG_MTD_CONCAT is not set
# CONFIG_MTD_REDBOOT_PARTS is not set
# CONFIG_MTD_CHAR is not set
CONFIG_MTD_BLOCK=y
# Self-contained MTD device drivers
#
# CONFIG_MTD_PMC551 is not set
# CONFIG_MTD_SLRAM is not set
# CONFIG_MTD_MTDRAM is not set
CONFIG_MTD_BLKMTD=m

I notice signal.o is only included as "builtin".  When i select all of mtd as builtin then i get no error.  what to do?
thanks
maria cruz
maria.cruz at vitronics.com