Please help in getting kernel 2.6.8.1 to work with a DOC 2000

Ian Yap d2army at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 12:43:54 EST 2004

Hi there everyone

I was wondering if anyone has been able to boot from a kernel 2.6.8.1
on with an M-Sys Disk-On-Chip(DOC) 2000 on an AMP (Advanced Micro
Peripherals) MICRO886ULP Single-Board-Computer with a Crusoe Transmeta
800 Mhz processor?

I have enabled DOC probing for both self contained MTD and NAND flash
devices when compiling the 2.6.8.1 kernel. However, when I try to boot
from this kernel image I made on the SBC, I get :

DiskOnChip 2000 found at address 0xD8000

Flash Chip found: Manufactureer ID: EC, Chip ID: 73 (Samsung: NAND 16
MiB 3 , 3V 8-bit)

(slight pause)

3 flash chips found. Total DiskOnChip size: 48 MiB

Ignoring DiskOnChip 2000 at 0xDA000 - already configured
Ignoring DiskOnChip 2000 at 0xDC000 - already configured
Ignoring DiskOnChip 2000 at 0xDE000 - already configured

DiskOnChip 2000 found at address 0xD8000

DiskOnChip 2000 responds to DWORD access

NAND device: Manufacturer ID: 0xec, Chip ID: 0x73 (Samsung NAND 16MiB
3, 3V 8-bit)

(hangs forever)

There is no kernel panic message though

I have a patched LILO on this machine already and someone got it to
work with 2.4.x using an initrd image that he would use to boot the
kernel from using "initrd="

Therefore, I am wondering if I really need to figure out how to make
an initrd boot image like that in order to make the 2.6.8.1 kernel
work as well

Thank a lot in advance!
I.S.