GC does not handle big syslog files

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue Sep 23 05:25:17 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 12:28 +0200, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> 1) Should I expect writes to hang while jffs2_gcd is "checking" a file?

Yes. We do it with the alloc_sem held.

> 2) I think JFFS2 needs GC files even when there is plenty of room left in the
>    FS since fragmentation can get really bad. Comments?

Yeah. We already make the distinction between 'pristine' nodes -- this
which are the most efficient representation of the data -- and others.
We just need to start counting them separately rather than all together
as 'used' space, then using the 'non-pristine' space counts for deciding
when and what to GC.

--
dwmw2