DOC filesystem questions

Chuck Meade chuckmeade at mindspring.com
Fri Sep 19 18:27:58 EDT 2003

> On Thu, 2003-08-07 at 17:56, Chuck Meade wrote:
> > David Woodhouse wrote:
> >
> > > We _must_ retain the bad block table which was on the device when it
> > > arrived from the factory.
> >
> > OK I see.  Would it be valuable then to have a Linux command-line
> > utility which captures the BBT before calling nftl_format, then
> > is used to restore the BBT after calling nftl_format but before
> > nftl tries to mount any partitions (via 'insmod nftl' or whatever)?
>
> ... or which writes it back as _part_ of the nftl_format process,
> perhaps?
>
> Yes, it would be extremely useful to do this.

I have been working on the utilities to do this.  It is working on my
DOC Millennium device that is soldered to the target board.  I now
have a requirement to do the same with a DIMM DOC device.
The device has the following markings:
  MD-2220-D16-V3
  DiskOnChip B-1.21
  DIMM  (serial number follows)

This device is identified as a DOC 2000 at bootup, while my other one is
identified as a DOC Millennium.

I am starting out saving and restoring the bad block table from the command
line using dd.  Since the bad block table is to be saved before the
nftl_format, and restored afterwards, I thought it would be handy to do
it with a shell script that uses dd.

This approach is working on the DOC Millennium device.  It is not working,
however, on my DOC 2000 device.  I get:

Read of bad sector table failed (err -5)

when I boot after restoring the bad block table via dd.
The -5 is an EIO being returned because it is unhappy with the ECC
that is read out.  I modified doc2000.c to print out the ECC codes that
are being written in doc_write_ecc, and read in doc_read_ecc.  They
do not match at all.

Is there a known problem with ECC reading/writing with DOC 2000
devices, or a subset of DOC 2000 devices?

Thanks very much,
Chuck Meade