Stopping the GC thread?

Steven Scholz steven.scholz at imc-berlin.de
Thu Jun 12 05:08:39 EDT 2003

David Woodhouse schrieb:
> On Wed, 2003-06-11 at 17:03, Steven Scholz wrote:
>
>>Is it safe to just do a
>>
>>~ # kill -s SIGSTOP `pidof jffs2_gcd_mtd0`
>>
>>even if my root fs is on this JFFS2 partition?
>

> Yes.
>

>>(I just tried it now and it seems to work. But IIRC a while ago my
>>system hung when I did something like that...)
>

> It shouldn't. The GC thread remains strictly an optimisation (and
> doesn't exist in the eCos port, etc.)

David,

two more questions please.

1.) What happens if I send multiple SIGSTOPs or SIGCONTs to the
thread? Does she handle (i.e. ignore) that properly?

2.) What happnens when I send a SIGSTOP in the middle of a running GC?
Will it stop immediately? Or will it take a while?
I suppose that a few more sectors will be examened and written...
(10ms, 100ms, 1000ms ...???)
Will it then just continue after a SIGCONT? Or will start all over again?

Thanks!

Steven