NFTL not recognizing disk on chip in some cases

Raphael Hertzog eng at eipm.ch
Thu Jan 30 03:05:22 EST 2003

Am Mit, 2003-01-29 um 23.41 schrieb David Woodhouse:
> Does one of your files have 'ANAND' at the start of it (or at an offset of
> n*512 bytes withing the file? :)

Yes.

$ find . -type f | xargs grep -l ANAND
./root/lib/modules/2.4.19-eipm/kernel/drivers/block/doc.o
./root/lib/modules/2.4.19-eipm/kernel/drivers/block/doc/doc.o
./root/usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/stage2
./root/usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/grub_firmware

After inspection, grub_firmware does have 'ANAND' at offset 87040 (170 *
512).

> That may get seen as an 'extra' NFTL media header sector; we should do
> more sanity checks and refrain from looking inside an already-detected
> NFTL partition.

I'm happy to test any patch since I can reproduce the problem here very
regularly ... :-)

> Because in the first case the 'ANAND' went somewhere other than the first
> page of an erase block, so wasn't seen as an 'extra' media header? Taking
> raw dumps of the flash would confirm this.

I'll do that to check it.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog - EIPM SA