MTD tools

Jörn Engel joern at wohnheim.fh-wedel.de
Fri Dec 12 07:44:20 EST 2003

On Thu, 11 December 2003 09:43:24 +0100, Michele Cimenti wrote:

> I'am working on a project that make intensive use of Flash device. For that
> reason a tool that can report info about Flash residual life will be
> usefull. I'm thinking about a inode record (JFFS2) that is written every
> time the sector is erased. This record contains the number of times the
> sector has been erased.
> Did someone develop  such a tool/patch or similar?

The approach depends on good faith.  If anyone ever erases the flash
outside of jffs2, writes a new image to the fs or similar, your
information is gone.  But if that is not a problem, such a patch to
jffs2 should be trivial, grep for the erase marker, add a counter
field to it, read the old counter before erase and write the
incremented into the new erase marker.  Done.

Jörn

--
My second remark is that our intellectual powers are rather geared to
master static relations and that our powers to visualize processes