"init not found" after booting GRUB on DOC

Selwyn Tang selwyn at hectrix.com
Thu Aug 7 03:47:12 EDT 2003

Dear all,

I followed Karim's book to put the kernel, modules, root filesystem
(including busybox and tinylogin) and GRUB on a DOC and tried booting
it. The kernel loaded successfully but it ended with a kernel panic of
"no init found". I use this statements in my menu.lst:

   title DiskOnChip 2000
   kernel (dc0,0)/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21-5x86 ro root=/dev/nftla1

I have busybox's init in /sbin and I also tried adding "init=/sbin/init"
to the above statement but with the same result.

The NFTL driver is built-in and it correctly detects my DOC. The kernel
also successfully mounts the root filesystem (ext3).

How should I configure GRUB in order to load the busybox's init?

advTHANKSance!

Selwyn