DOC filesystem questions

Chuck Meade chuckmeade at mindspring.com
Wed Aug 6 00:27:50 EDT 2003

I have a DiskOnChip device soldered onto a PowerPC target and
would appreciate if someone could verify if I am using the
correct commands to put a filesystem on it.

Also I am concerned from what I have read in the archives about
the bad block table.  From what I see in the archives and in
Karim Yaghmour's book, I needed to save this off.  Unfortunately
however I cannot run DOS or its utilities on this target board,
so I don't think that there is any way to do this.

I use the following commands:

  nftl_format /dev/mtd0
  fdisk /dev/nftla

(I know it's unnecessary for now to use partitioning when I just
have 1 partition, but I may be using multiple partitions in the
near future)

  mkfs.ext3 /dev/nftla1
  mount /dev/nftla1 /mnt

This filesystem on the DOC looks like it is working well.

 Questions:

1. Have I destroyed any bad block table in the device by
   doing this command sequence?

2. If so, is this a bad block table needed by firmware
   internal to the DOC, or just needed by some DOS utilities
   that I won't be using anyway?

3. What I would really prefer to use is JFFS2 on this DOC.
   I have seen messages from David that this may now be
   possible.
   When I use other targets with NOR flash I typically write
   an MTD partition map file for the target, then I use dd to
   put my jffs2 image file into the right mtdblock partition.
   How would I do this with a DOC device?
   (Meaning how do you specify the MTD partition map for your
   DOC so you are able to specify /dev/mtdblock3, for example,
   as a destination for the fs image).

Thanks very much,
Chuck Meade