List etiquette.

Russ Dill Russ.Dill at asu.edu
Wed Apr 23 16:51:05 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-04-23 at 13:40, Jörn Engel wrote:
> On Wed, 23 April 2003 10:15:56 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> >
> > Please ensure that you do not try to start a new thread
> > by just replying to an existing list message and changing the subject,
> > for similar reasons.
>
> Why exactly? I kind of like the habit of changing the subject in the
> middle of a thread where appropriate, like "foo (was: bar)".

He doesn't mean a topic change like, "There is a bug in tool foo blah
blah blah" "I like that tool, but I use tool bar blah blah blah" "(New
subject) did you know how to do x in tool bar?"

He means "I have an oops when I use foo with bar" "(reply) Where can I
find the latest CVS snapshot?"

Lazy people, not sensible topic shifting