Unlocking Intel K3 StrataFlash at boot time

Dominic Duval dduval at oerlikon.ca
Tue Apr 22 20:31:06 EDT 2003

Hi,

I'm currently trying to boot from a XScale board which has some Intel
StrataFlash banks (K3). However, it appears that the K3 flash in locked by
default, so I'm getting some errors when the root partition is mounted by
the Kernel in read/write mode.

I figured the only way to work around this problem is to unlock the K3
Flash before the Kernel mounts the root partition. Since our own bootloader
doesn't support the K3 Flash, the only place left is right in the Kernel,
probably just before the MTD device gets mounted.

I'd therefore like to know if this has been done before. If it has not, am
I on the right track here? And is there a place in the mtd code which would
be particularly well suited for placing the unlocking stuff?

I'm no expert in MTD Flash devices, so your advice will be appreciated.

Cheers,

		-Dominic

--
Dominic Duval