Does jffs2 garbage collection include erasing

Jörn Engel joern at wohnheim.fh-wedel.de
Tue Apr 22 16:57:12 EDT 2003

On Tue, 22 April 2003 15:08:55 -0500, Kelly, Mike - ACDIN wrote:

> When one discusses garbage collection, does that include erasure of the
> flash device?  Should manual activation of the garbage collection by sending
> the SIGHUP signal to the jffs2 process also cause the process to start
> erasing part of the flash device?

Short answer:
http://lxr.linux.no/ident?v=2.5.56&i=jffs2_garbage_collect_pass

Long answer:

jffs2_garbage_collect_pass is called from the GC thread, but also from
all processes writing to flash. The GC thread basically runs
permanently on idle systems and a little on busy ones. Sending SIGHUP
to it triggers exactly one run of jffs2_garbage_collect_pass, so a
single signal will barely be noticed. Not at all for idle systems.

> Thanks for any assistance you can give me -- a jffs2 newbie.

Doing what I can, a newbie myself.

Jörn

--
Ninety percent of everything is crap.