A question on ECC

Edward Lee \(이장원\) noshel at idis.co.kr
Sun Apr 13 20:18:09 EDT 2003

Hello. I'm Edward Lee in Korea.

I'm using samsung NAND flash, with YAFFS on it..
But I'm having problems with ECC.
I wrote a file that's needed to use the flash chip with my board,
and here's  a small part of code that defines the partitions.

static struct mtd_partition partition_info[] = {
    { name: "a",
      offset: 0,
      size: 32 * 512 },
    { name: "b",
      offset: 16384,
      size: 2 * 1024 * 1024 },
    { name: "c",
      offset: 2113536,
      size: 2 * 1024 * 1024 },
    { name: "d",
      offset: 4210688,
      size: 11 * 1024 * 1024 },
    { name: "e",
      offset: 15745024,
      size: 1032192 }
};
#define NUM_PARTITIONS 5

    I'm using YAFFS on partitions "d" and "e".
But I can't stop recieving annoying kernel messages saying
"Reading data from NAND FLASH without ECC is not recommended".

     On YAFFS's side, I set the option CONFIG_YAFFS_USE_NANDECC,
which I believe that asks the mtd NAND to do the ECC.
So, I would like to ask if any other settings are necessary in order to enable ECC.
(Probably something should be added to the stuff above?)

Well, that's all, and thanks for the great work.