Newbie questions: MTD vs M-Sys, ... RTLinuxPro

"Mercier, André" Mercier.Andre at ireq.ca
Tue Apr 8 12:36:10 EDT 2003

Before throwing myself in the MTD arena, I would like to know if it is possible
to boot from a DOC with RTLinux?

Platform: PC104, Ampro CMP5E (pentium MMX)
DOC 2000 (256MB, with TrueFSS 5.1.4)
Linux: Redhat (5.2, 6.2, 7.2, 7.3, ...)
RTLinux: version RTLinuxPro 1.1 or RTLinuxPro 1.2

I am able to boot from DOC with Redhat 6.2 installation and M-Sys drivers.
But now, I would like to use instead the MTD drivers and be able to boot
RTLinux from my 256MB DOC (note: this DOC cannot use the older
version TrueFSS 4.2 from M-Sys). I have looked at the
http://www.gctglobal.com/Download/DiskOnChip/diskonchip.html
web site for some information, but there are still some questions to be answered:

1) Does MTD work with new DOC2000 release (256 MB with TrueFSS 5.1.4)?
2) Which Redhat distribution is the best choice for MTD (7.3, 8.0, ...9.0) ?
3) What are the specific steps to include the MTD stuff with the RTLinuxPro
    distribution (note: RTLinux has been tested with Redhat 7.2, 7.3, ...
    I did not buy the full kernel sources package, but I can make a bzImage
    and modules without problems) and be able to boot RTLinux from DOC?

Thanks for your help.

André Mercier